I tend to write more e-mail than literature, so I’m pretty good at these kind of lists.
1. What CDs are in my car right now: REM, Beatles, U2, Sarah McLachlan, Kasey Chambers, Ben Harper, Ray LaMontagne, Ingrid Michaelson, Ben Folds, Lisa Loeb, Indigo Girls, Cherie Call, Jack Johnson, Ella Fitzgerald. And also, Debbie Gibson. You wish I were kidding.
2. Why I still use CDs instead of MP3s: Because I’m cheap. I once rode a train in Italy, and savvy Italians stared in disbelief as I pulled out my good ol’ discman. (I do have an mp3 player on my phone that I know how to work sometimes.)
3. My favorite movies: Inception. Napoleon Dynamite. Nacho Libre. Pee Wee’s Big Adventure. Life Is Beautiful. Good superhero movies. Mildly creepy movies.
4. Favorite books: The ones my friends write and Go, Dog, Go!
5. Favorite TV shows: MTV’s The State. Now you know how long it’s been since I’ve had access to TV. I also like The Simpsons, The Office, and The Biggest Loser. Love me some Olympics too.
6. Favorite people: My husband, my family, my long-time friends from all the schools and colleges I’ve attended, my writers group, my church group, and my co-workers. But also, anyone who can speak in a Boston accent or any other kind of accent; people who cook Indian food for me (I haven’t met any of these people yet); people who feed ducks (ducks make me LAUGH); people who will tell me some clean, witty jokes (I’m fresh out).
7. What I’d be if I weren’t a writer: Back before I knew I couldn’t necessarily be anything I wanted by putting my mind to it, I was looking into speed skating or painting. The two things I lack: speed and paint. Oh, and talent.
8. What I am when I’m not a writer: Part-time editor, part-time housekeeper, part-time yoga enthusiast, part-time slacker extraordinaire.
9. Favorite and only pet: Nacho the cat, missing as of September 2010. May he rest in peace.
10. Pet-peeves: People kicking the back of my chair and poor writing. Especially if it’s mine.